(c) 2011 Socket. All rights reserved.
Dear Techie: Can keyboard shortcuts really save me time? How do I use them?
Many computer users hesitate to try keyboard shortcuts. They think it's easier to just use the mouse, or they think they'll never remember so many key combinations.
However, keyboard shortcuts can save a lot of time, especially if you do a lot of tasks repeatedly, such as copying and pasting text or alternating between programs. Try adding one or two at a time.
Here are a few common keyboard shortcuts for Windows and Microsoft Office. Just hold down the keys in the exact order mentioned. (Note: The plus sign is an indication of which keys to combine--you do not need to press the plus key on these combinations.)
CTRL + C Copy the selected text or object(s)
CTRL + X Cut the selected text or object(s)
CTRL + V Paste the selection
CTRL + B Make the selected text bold
CTRL + I Make the selected text italicized
CTRL + U Underline the selected text
CTRL + Z Undo the last action
ALT + F4 Close a window
ALT + TAB Switch to another open program or window (hold down the ALT key and keep pressing TAB to select)
SHIFT + DELETE Permanently delete an item (without moving to the recycle bin first)
Happy (and quick) computing!
Jason Vander Veen, Technical Support Supervisor
Have a question for Dear Techie? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Socket's 3rd Annual Coloring Contest - Enter Before July 7
Socket is proud to host its 3rd annual summer coloring contest, open to all Missouri kiddos between the ages of 3-11. Entrants will color in the outline of a storefront, decorating it like their favorite local business or even one of their own creation.
The contest continues through July 7, and includes one grand prize and a first and second prize for age groups 3-7 and 8-11.
Grand Prize - Winner's design put on t-shirts
The top winner among all entries will receive his or her design printed on t-shirts for the family!
First Prize - Missouri State Fair admission tickets
This prize includes six one-day passes to the Missouri State Fair, held August 11-21 in Sedalia.
Second Prize - Ice cream party
This prize includes ice cream and fixin's for up to 10 friends or family members.
To enter to win, just complete these easy steps:
- Download the coloring page and entry form.
- Color and complete the entry form.
- Return the entry form to Socket by July 7, 2011. You can mail it or bring it by our office at 2703 Clark Lane, Columbia, MO 65202.
Check out photos from the contest and keep up with this year's winners on Socket's Facebook Page.
Socket at Missouri Events
Socket continues to visit fairs and festivals this summer. Last month, we visited Moberly Railroad Days and the Fulton Street Fair. We were also a proud sponsor of the Jefferson City Chamber of Commerce Golf Tournament.
On June 24, Socket hosted the first preliminary round of the Columbia Corporate Dance Off. Socket's winner, Jason Christian, now advances to the dance competition finals, to be held July 28 at the Galactic Fun Zone in Columbia. The event benefits Ronald McDonald House Charities of Mid-Missouri.
We'll also be on hand at the Missouri State Fair in Sedalia August 11-21. We hope to see you at the Socket Pig Races!
To learn more about Socket's community involvement and to view more pictures of Socketeers in action, visit www.socket.net/community.
Socketeer Spotlight: Ryan Luff, Installer
Ryan Luff was chosen as Socket's You-Make-the-Difference-Award winner for June. Ryan joined Socket in April 2010 as a technical support agent. Earlier this year, he was promoted to residential installer.
"Ryan went above and beyond to get a customer's Internet connection installed," said a co-worker who nominated him for the award. "When others said it couldn't be done, Ryan said that it could and proved it."
Ryan attended the University of Missouri and studied geography. He was also a member of Marching Mizzou (the University's marching band). Nowadays, you can find him playing wiffle ball, building or playing video games or hanging out with friends.
When asked what he thought of winning Socket's You-Make-the-Difference award, Ryan said, "I'm humbled to be chosen as this month's YMTD. I just take the time to get things done right in our system and out in the field, but I wouldn't be able to do it if everyone in the office wasn't doing the same thing."
Socket's You-Make-the-Difference Award is given monthly to the employee who best exemplifies Socket's Core Values and Beliefs. Recipients of the award are nominated and voted on by their peers. To view other winners, visit www.socket.net/ymtd.
Sites of the Month
Three great websites to check out in July:
Fireworks Safety (www.fireworksafety.com)
Celebrate the holiday weekend safely by taking a few precautions recommended by the National Council on Fireworks Safety.
Ice Cream (www.icecream.com)
July is National Ice Cream Month, so celebrate by learning some fun facts about your favorite summertime treat. You can even find out what your favorite flavor says about you.
Camping Checklist (www.scoutlists.com)
Planning a summer camping trip? This site will help you build a customized checklist based on the weather and activities in your camping area.
Do you have a great website to share with others? Send it to email@example.com.
Happy 4th of July!
We want to wish you and your family a safe and happy Independence Day!
Socket will be closed Monday, July 4.
Enjoy the holiday weekend!
Contact Information, Comments and Suggestions
Find us at:
2703 Clark Lane
Columbia, MO 65202
- Call us at 1-800-SOCKET-3 (1-800-762-5383)
- E-mail your billing and account questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
- E-mail your technical questions to email@example.com
Mail your bill to:
P.O. Box 7716
Columbia, MO 65205
- Make payments online at www.socket.net/myaccount
- Connect with us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/socketinmo
- Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/socketinmo
We are listening...
- Fill out Socket's Customer Satisfaction Survey at www.socket.net/survey.
- Do you have suggestions about how we can improve your experience with Socket? E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Have you had an exceptional experience with a technical support or customer service agent, or with Socket in general? Tell us about it at email@example.com.
- What do you think about The Socket Connection? E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Read why others enjoy being a Socket residential customer at www.socket.net/testimonials or a Socket business client at www.socket.net/clients.
Some Helpful Links...
- View Socket packages for the home (www.socket.net/home) or business (www.socket.net/business)
- Use Socket's Customer Home Page for news, weather, account tools and more at www.socket.net/customer
- For technical support tips and tricks, visit www.socket.net/support
- Helpful step-by-step tutorial videos at www.socket.net/howto
TO UNSUBSCRIBE, please e-mail us at email@example.com.
Disclaimer: This publication provides general information about the subject matter covered. Before acting on any information contained in this publication, please consult with one of Socket's technical or customer service representatives at 1-800-SOCKET-3 to determine its applicability to your particular situation.